Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Sitting Pretty

Number one, I am obsessed with the song Lovesick by Priscilla Renea! Perfect wake-up-in-the-morning, playful song and these days, I need a happy wake up to survive.

There is a quote by the graphic designer, Milton Glaser (best known for his 'I Love New York' logo) that I have always been very inspired by:

"The real issue is not talent as an independent element, but talent in relationship to will, desire and persistence. Talent without these things vanishes and even modest talent with those characteristics grows"

It is inspiring in so many ways. If you have talent, it motivates you to work harder, to not be content; to be hungry. So often there are people who are talented and know they're talented. Being creative comes naturally to them, their technical skills and their aesthetic eye is flawless but they are sitting pretty and forget that it takes so much more. They feel entitled, they think "Hey, I am talented. I should have that amazing job." Yea, but your work ethic is nonexistent. People who rely solely on talent aren't going to get very far w/o a tenacity to match it.

If you don't have natural talent, this quote gives you hope that being good at something; being successful, is dependent on more than just what God gave ya. Maybe if I want it bad enough and I work hard enough, I can make it happen!

At the end of the day, Milton Glaser's quote inspires me to try and be the best I can be. And that's the most anyone can ask.

No comments: