Saturday, April 17, 2010

No way...

...I'm blogging two days in a row?!!!
Yea, get a good look cuz it's never going to happen again (most likley)

So a year ago I was in the awful unemployed time in my life where my bank account balance was getting into the 3 digit area (yikes!) and I avoided social outings, not so much from money issues but more to avoid the dreaded question "Did you find a job yet?" Bah! I'm sure everyone can relate to this feeling. I wasn't prepared to find a job in my field. I didn't know where to look. I had no one to help me! My whole family is comprised of engineers and accountants. For about a year, I struggled to maintain my sanity and find a permanent job. I went on a lot of interviews, got a position as a designer at a fashion pr company and then a job at a marketing company. Neither really went anywhere but it wasn't wasted time.

My biggest hurdle was maintaining an optimistic view otherwise I would give up and either succumb to endless tubs of Ben & Jerry's cherries garcia or slit my wrists. Instead, I looked at my unfortunate unemployment as a chance to learn something new!

I fell in love with the work by Swedish fashion illustrator Cassandra Rhodin. Love love love love! I would gladly pay an obscene amount of money for a piece of hers to hang on my wall! I loved the light ink lines mixed w/ watercolour washes, the flowing hair, the eyes, the high eyebrows, the heavy lids, etc...I admire her individual style that was so recognizable to me that I had stopped dead in front of a store that had her artwork in it and knew, without a doubt, it was hers.

Here's some of of favourite works of hers:








I had to limit how many I added because otherwise I'd be going all day!
Don't you just love finding another creative individual that inspires you as a fellow creative? I dusted off my long forgotten watercolours and used her work as my jumping off point and trying to find my own style. I don't think there's anything more flattering than if someone saw my work (design , photography, illustration) and it inspired them so much they started doing it too.

Here are 2 of my own pieces that I just uploaded to my Flickr:







1 comment:

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

So glad I found your blog! Your work is amazing. You are very talented :)